Marriott Hotels in the United Kingdom has partnered with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage in an effort to celebrate and support local and sustainable food.
New menus will launch later this month at Hollins Hall, a Marriott Hotel & Country Club in West Yorkshire, and Cardiff Marriott before being rolled out at more of Marriott Hotels’ 50 U.K. hotels. New items will include shoulder of lamb, smashed celeriac, chili and thyme with organic Welsh lamb from Graig Farm in Newton as well as slow-cooked beef brisket from Swillington Farm near Leeds with anchovy, rosemary potatoes and a red wine sauce.
River Cottage is facilitating the introduction of key local suppliers and sharing best practices on sustainable sourcing along with daily menu planning.
Other changes as a result of the partnership will include:
- Increasing the percentage of food sourced by each hotel from within a 60-mi (97-km) radius to 80%
- Increasing the number of times the restaurant menu changes, from quarterly to daily
- Further reducing food wastage from a current level of 5%
- Improving the Sustainable Restaurant Association rating of each hotel
- Ensuring all meat used in the restaurants is organic
- Ensuring all chicken used in the restaurants is free range