What better way to enhance revenue at an urban property in a market like Omaha, Nebraska, than by creating a limited membership club? That is exactly what Davidson Hospitality Group’s lifestyle division Pivot is doing at the 205-room Kimpton Cottonwood Hotel, which emerged from a US$75 million renovation in 2020 with a shiny, new resort-style swimming pool.
The first of its kind in the area, this members-only club provides a range of benefits, including seasonal access to the pool and year-round access to the hot tub, a “work & play” opportunity to make the hotel a remote office, 24-hour access to the fitness center, complimentary hotel stays and more. The hotel is only offering 100 spots for membership to solos, couples and juniors.
Enrollment options include:
- Solo membership: US$2,500 joining fee; US$165 monthly dues
- Couple membership: US$3,750 joining fee; US$200 monthly dues
- Junior membership (ages 21-30): US$1,500 joining fee; US$150 monthly dues
Hotel management has conceived a program that offers the following benefits:
- Complimentary hotel stays. Five nights per year are included (blackout dates may apply).
- Priority reservations and preferred pricing. Special member rates on rooms, event spaces, and catering, as well as personalized support to assist with special restaurant reservations.
- Seasonal access to the pool and year-round hot tub.
- Complimentary valet parking.
- Wellness programming. 24-hour access to the hotel’s onsite fitness center with Peloton stationary bicycles.
- Make the hotel a remote office with complimentary WiFi, coffee and tea.
- Guest privileges. Pool Club members receive four complimentary guest passes per year, with additional passes available for purchase, based on availability.
“We realized the demand that the locals wanted access to the pool club, fitness center, multiple restaurants, and stylish remote workspaces, so we decided to create our own opportunity with a membership program, similar to the social clubs that are popping up in major markets across the country,” General Manager Steve Shern told HOTELS. “Our plan is to make it ‘their hotel of choice’ and bring on a dedicated team to curate special events and programming at the property.”
Shern said having a dedicated member experience/marketing director is beneficial to allow for more strategic partnerships and unique events at the property. “While this membership program will generate additional revenue for the property, it does so much more to create awareness, unique events, and an experience you can’t find at other properties, which is what our guest want. Our plan is that members will recommend Kimpton Cottonwood to their business partners, friends, and family, and that our revenue stream to hire programming staff will cultivate other special aspects at the property.”
Management is also creating events and experiences curated exclusively for members, including wine and cocktail tastings; previews of new menus at The Committee Chophouse restaurant and The Cottonwood Room bar; and “Lunch & Learns” with guest speakers. Additional events already on the calendar for 2022 include a member-exclusive Pool Opening Day, Father’s Day Grill & Bourbon Tasting, Poolside 4th of July Party, Bubbles & Bliss, Crafting Tea-Based Cocktails and Autumn Floral Building Class.