Protea Hospitality Group, Sea Point, South Africa, is forging ahead with expansion plans across Africa this year with 11 properties in the pipeline for Nigeria, Uganda and Zambia.
The total value of this investment by Protea Hotels and its property owner partners is US$130 million. This will bring to nine the number of African countries in which Protea Hotels is represented.
Protea Hospitality Group CEO Arthur Gillis said the company was viewing the African market with much optimism this year, despite the uncertainty facing the global economy. “As political stability and business opportunities increase, they create a greater need for the hotels and we’re leading the charge,” Gillis said.
“There are a number of countries such as Nigeria, Zambia, Uganda and Angola that are flying in the face of the global economic trend as far as hospitality is concerned,” Gillis added. “Africa’s traditional trading partners have been changing rapidly in recent years, and this is spurring unprecedented growth in regions that have previously not seen the numbers.”
According to an African Outlook document co-authored by the African Development Bank, the OECD Development Centre, the United Nations Development Programme and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, the continent is becoming increasingly integrated in the global economy and in 2009 China became Africa’s main trading partner.
“Hospitality groups would be foolish not to be wondering where their opportunities lie and researching which areas of the continent are drawing the largest percentage of commercial travel,” Gillis said.
The new hotels by country are as follows:
- Protea Hotel Ibadan, Oyo State, 75 rooms, to open mid-2012
- Protea Hotel Select Emotan – Benin City, Edo State, 100 rooms, opening in late-2012
- Protea Hotel Select Ikeja, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, Lagos State, 120 rooms, under construction and set to open in early 2013
- African Pride Avalon Hotel and Spa, GRA Ikeja, Lagos, Lagos State, 150 rooms, under construction and due to open in late-2013
- Protea Hotel Asaba, Asaba, Delta State, 125 rooms, construction to due to start April 2012
- Protea Hotel Entebbe, 70 rooms, opening April 2012
- A further two hotels to open under the Protea Hotels banner in the third quarter 2012
- Protea Hotel Ndola, 80 rooms, construction due to start in April 2012 and opening late 2013
- Protea Hotel Mulungushi (name yet to be confirmed), 104 rooms, construction just started