In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, which caused severe flooding and caused extended power outages across the East Coast of the United States, TravelClick has posted its latest hotel-related business intelligence.
Data presented here is based on demand participating hotel companies: New York, 264 hotels (67,000 rooms); Boston, 153 hotels (32,000 rooms); and DC, 348 hotels (74,00k rooms).
- New York, Boston and Washington, DC metro areas were the most impacted by Sandy
- Boston and DC felt more of the impact from an occupancy and revenue year-over-year basis. Overall, it said New York’s impact was not as significant
- Demand Drop: New York, 6%; Boston, 20%; and DC, 22%
- The biggest impact is in GDS channel with a 50% decrease year-over-year
- The property direct (calling or walk-ins) channel shows an increase of 30% YoY, which is likely due to last minute, emergency hotel stays