As we begin 2014, I have compiled some basic tips for general managers:
- Don’t discount for the sake of it. It affects your positioning, brand and margins.
- Don’t miss any revenue opportunities. Make sure all your team members are aware of the opportunities.
- Social media management is a given; you have a worldwide audience — use it.
- Manage your costs!
- You’re the host, the innkeeper and number-cruncher. Spread your wings.
- The team should know your financial performance as well as you do.
- Never compromise on your standards.
- All goods in and out should be checked daily and signed for.
- A purchase order system is a must.
- High costs — usually staff and utilities — must be managed.
- Finally, a good hotel leader has personality, courage, clear vision and ambition to succeed. He or she encourages the team to perform to their optimum at all times and drives the business to success with a duty of care to customers, clients and staff.
Wishing you all great results, good health and happiness. But most of all, enjoy 2014!